Friday, February 24, 2012

How accepting will Seattle be of people with a Southern accent?

I know that Seattle is a city on the move and is a popular destination on the west coast for twenty-something dwellers and yuppies. I'm more interested in Seattle than any place in the U.S. west of the continental divide because of its culture, architecture, climate (the temperatures, not the mist,) parks, etc.



As silly as this may seem, will I be laughed at or looked down upon in Seattle for having a Southern accent? (I am from Kentucky.) It's noticeable, but not thick, similar to that of Mike Huckabee.



Thank you!How accepting will Seattle be of people with a Southern accent?
Hmm... I think it will be a hoot. I don't think it you'll be laughed at or considered a hillbilly.



I guess it just depends upon how sensitive you are.
I live about 400 miles from Seattle. My fiance %26amp; I visit Seattle quite a bit, he has a chinese accent, and no one made fun of him. People in Seattle are usually pretty accepting of all people. Occassionally you'll get the select few, but most people are really nice. If you get a chance check out Seattle Center, and the Woodland Park Zoo. Good luck, it's a beautiful city, and the Seahawks games are incredible. Hope this helps you out.How accepting will Seattle be of people with a Southern accent?
People in Seattle are mostly nice and we are used to diversity. Of course, there are a few jerks around but, aren't they everywhere? You'll be fine unless you make a big deal about it.
Your new Seattle friends will probably tease you for it a bit. But it would most likely be in fun.



This is a diverse city, with lots of people from other places who have accents.



Come out for a visit and check us out! Hopefully you'll be happy with what you see and with the way the locals treat you.
My sister-in-law moved here from Virginia 30+ years ago, and she is very happy here. She could have left anytime and has not. She has many friends and family. My daughter-in-law is from Arkansas. Everyone that meets her falls in love with her (she is very sweet and considerate).



I'm not going to say that no one will be an inconsiderate slob and not be a jerk, but most will not. Remember that not everyone that lives here is from here!!!
I'm originally from Texas, so I have a bit of an accent, and I have lived near Seattle for two years. To date, I don't think I've had more than a handful of people mention my accent (although mine is not terribly noticiable unless I go back home for a visit %26lt;grin%26gt;). I'd definitely say this is a great place to visit, although it's good to REALLY like wet weather if you plan on living here ;-)
For the most part, people won't make fun of your accent. We're not as uptight as people in the Northeast, and unless you say something completly off the wall or absure nobody will really say anything. The good thing about that is it will be a conversation starter for many people around here. It has been mentioned many times that we are pleasant in Seattle, but maybe hard to meet people around here. If anything your accent might get you better luck in the social scene around here.
I agree with joeluw1977. Rather than make fun of your accent, I think most people who notice it will be more curious about where you have come from....great conversation starter. My mother in law is from Tennessee and visits here in the Pacific NW often. Not a soul has made fun of her accent, but we do love to hear some of the sayings that are typical of the south and really foreign to us....great for lots of laughs, but all in fun. You'll be just fine - don't worry. The people who count are going to like you for you ....speech doesn't matter.
Seattle's a place with a lot of diversity, so I don't think it'll be a problem. Once you make friends with some people, they might give you a little gentle teasing, but nothing's going to happen like people beating you up when they hear you "tawk." :-)



Northwesterners in general, and Seattlites in particular, are a pretty laid-back lot. (Unless we're stuck in traffic, that is. %26lt;%26lt;sigh%26gt;%26gt;) As long as you don't go out of your way to make trouble, you shouldn't have any trouble.



One other thing, though: If you make it up the hills and to Darrington at the foot of the Cascades, you'll just about fit right in. A good portion of the people who originally settled in Darrington were from North Carolina, which of course is not the same as Kentucky, but makes Darrington the most Southern town in Washington.

No comments:

Post a Comment