Friday, February 24, 2012

What kind of clothes should I pack for Seattle in October?

I always over pack, and with the cost of baggage nowadays I really don't want to. So I am curious, what should I bring while visiting Seattle next month (October). We are most likely going to be walking a lot. And we probably wont be going anywhere to fancy.What kind of clothes should I pack for Seattle in October?
"Sweaters", Rise? Clearly someone that doesn't live in Seattle! I've lived here seven years and don't even own a single "sweater".



The key is LAYERS. It won't be cold enough for sweaters. In October I'm usually wearing a t-shirt with a fleece jacket or pullover on top. Most places you go to are heated if it's chilly out so this way you can take off the jacket or pullover. October it may start getting rainy (no, it DOESN'T rain "all the time" here) so bring some sort of hooded waterproof windbreaker.



Do NOT bring an umbrella unless you want people to point and you and chuckle "tourist". The rain here is usually light and misty - not anything you need an umbrella for.



For shoes something comfortable - sneaks, hiking boots, hitops.
Don't live there, but Fall is my favorite time to visit Seattle. We go twice a year and have learned well how to pack for it. You won't need a sweater, not that cold yet in October, I'd stick with jeans or cargo pants, sneakers or hikers (or walking sandals), and one good rain proof hoody or something similar. If you're walking a lot, take a messenger bag or backpack. We take a few long sleeve and short sleeve tees, as layering is the best way to go. It does start to chill in the evenings, and we did fine just pulling a long tee over a short. I never take anything fancy, but always take a nice black long sleeve tee, black slacks, and a colorful scarf when I go in case I find I want to eat at a little nicer place than usual. Those are pieces that do double duty so you aren't over packing. The rains are rarely heavy, so don't bother with a big rain coat, boots, or umbrella.What kind of clothes should I pack for Seattle in October?
Hi temps will be in the high 50's and low 60's, with clouds and rain.



That's a transition time for the Seattle area, so it could be chilly at night, and there is an outside chance of temps into the high 60's or maybbe even 70 during the day.



Layers are totally in order here.



I suggest mostly long sleeve tee's, a sweater or two that you can layer over your tee's and a warmish jacket. You probably don't need a heavy winter jacket, but a raincoat or water resistant jacket would be good.



Shoes should be comfortable and able to handle the wet. It shouldn't be raining enough to need rain boots.
one thick coat or rainy coat.

sweaters if you like.

boots.

scarfs and hats

gloves



well you can get leather shoes for walking a lot. it will raining a lot, just in case.

warm pj for night, not getting cold in mornings.
Tshirts, light jackets, comfortable shoes. You don't really need more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment