Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Moving from Chicago to Seattle. Do I need to pay tax on my car on registration?

I am soon moving from Chicago to Seattle. I bought a car one month back and got it registered in Chicago(paid all taxes). Do I need to pay sales tax again, once I register it in Washington?

My friend told me that as per Washington law, I must have bought the car at least 3 month before moving into Washington, to avoid paying sales tax. Not sure?Moving from Chicago to Seattle. Do I need to pay tax on my car on registration?
I would definitely be talking to the deptartment of motor vehicles to double check the laws on this one. And make sure you have ALL of the paperwork from the purchase of your vehicle.



I think you will need to prove that you paid sales tax in Chicago or it will have to be paid here. Because Washington state has a somewhat high sales tax and two neighboring states have none (Oregon and Alaska), it is tempting for many people to want to buy their vehicles out of state, pay no sales tax and then bring them here and register then.



So call the DMV and explain your situation. They should be able to tell you exactly what you'll need to do to register your vehicle here when you arrive, and what it will cost. I had a somewhat unusual situation when I registered my vehicle here 15 years ago, and they were very helpful!Moving from Chicago to Seattle. Do I need to pay tax on my car on registration?
I dont know about sales tax but you are going to have to pay registration tax since you will have to register the car as a washington vehicle. Your best bet is to call the Seattle Vehicle Licensing Place here is a link to all of them with their phone numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment