Friday, February 24, 2012

How will my slight southern accent be perceived in Seattle?

I'm not the redneck type of southerner keep in mind.



I just want things to go smooth and enjoy what Seattle and Washington State have to offer.How will my slight southern accent be perceived in Seattle?
In most cases it won't be noticed, ro cared about. In a majority of the other cases you'll encounter curiosity and/or awe, but there are a few people who are immature and dislike people with southern accents.



But, like I say, the people who will welcome you will outweight those who will be mean or hateful.
I have a distinctive Midwestern Accent and I have had no real issuse. I do get an occasional joke from people but very light hearted. There are people from all over out here, I actually know more poeple from other states than I know Native Washingtonites.How will my slight southern accent be perceived in Seattle?
They might ask, "Are you from Tacoma?"
It's not a problem. I live just outside Seattle, but I'm originally from Texas, and have a FAINT southern accent; people here don't even seem to notice it :-)
People will love it. They will ask you were you are from, and stuff like that. But remember not everything is coke up here, we call it pop or soda, so if you say coke, you'll get coke a cola.

The only way they will think you are a redneck is if you say that you are form eastern washington or idaho... I've made that mistake.

We love the south and accept all kinds of folk. enjoy the not humide climate and don't get too addicted to Starbucks!
Seattle is really liberal and friendly...if anything, you'll just have people asking where you're from (in a friendly way). I wouldn't worry about it. Be yourself!
it wont be norticed that much .
i live in seattle and although your accent wont have any affect on how people treat you, dont expect to be treated warmly. people in seattle like to keep to themselves, they act like you are trying to kidnapp them if you just speak to them, my boyfriend is from louisiana and that was one of the first things he said he noticed when he got here. it truly is a beautiful city though, the whole state is beautiful!
On the West Coast there are people from everywhere. Most people living in a city like Seattle weren't born there, they are from somewhere else. You will hear a lot of accents.



People generally -like- Southern accents. I know I do (I'm from the San Francisco area, which is very similar). So long as you don't act like a redneck, people won't have a problem with your accent.



BTW it's a beautiful city, you'll love it! It does rain an awful lot, though.
It's no biggy-Seattle is a very diverse and cosmopolitan city nowadays. It's still got some lumber town roots, but remember it's got Boeing and Microsoft as well.
Seattle is in general an open minded, accepting place. More liberal than most other places. People from many different countries and cultures live there, so don't worry about it. You see all kinds of people and hear all kinds of languages.
In the state of Washington is the military base Fort Lewis. The military invites all types of cultures and accents. You wouldn't be alone, you'd be fine.
you are fine there are lots of acsented people in seattle
They will think youre country. But you shouldnt get a beat donw for it. Unless you go to the "CD" central district.
Be yourself Brandon... don't worry about what people say unless you are intentionally being a moron... if it's just you being you, if they get upset they should take a cold shower.
i am from Tennessee and people didn't really seem to notice my accent they could tell that i wasn't local, but no one paid any attention to it

No comments:

Post a Comment