Tuesday, February 14, 2012

How much money will I need to save/spend to move to Seattle Washington?

I am planning to move to Seattle, Washington from Logan, Utah in January 2011. I want to get an Idea of what others have spent moving out of state, and if anyone has any helpful tips or things I should know about Seattle and surrounding areas (besides that it rains a lot) or any helpful tips about moving out of state in general. I don't have family or friends out there, so I am pretty much starting over from scratch.How much money will I need to save/spend to move to Seattle Washington?
I grew up in Seattle and live here now, but moved away a few times in my twenties for work. Even with the benefit of storing some stuff with family and friends each move was nearly $6,000 by the time I paid movers to haul my stuff from out of state, deposit on an apartment and other incidentals (mops, brooms, groceries).

When I moved out of state, my first priority was to visit a month ahead of time. During that visit I found an apartment, put a deposit down and arranged to have the keys available when I got back in town. That way I had an address to give to the movers. Don鈥檛 move anything you can afford (emotionally or financially) to part with. It鈥檚 crazy expensive and you can do just fine replacing your couch with something you鈥檇 find on Craiglist! The best piece of advice I can offer is this: have a place to go and a job lined up before you move.How much money will I need to save/spend to move to Seattle Washington?
The other person is absolutely right. I moved 3,000 miles across the country all by myself when I was 22. I flew there a month before for job interviews and secured a job and an apartment. Drive my car there, and shipped what didn't fit in my car and like they said, it was about $5,000 when all said and done.

You will meet tons of new friends, and have great experiences. I stayed for 3 years and missed my family too much so I ended up moving back home but I will never regret my time there, it was a great experience and taught me a lot.

Good luck!
  • chuckecheese
  • chuys
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment