Saturday, February 11, 2012

How much should I save to move to seattle?

I love seattle, I used to live there, but right now I am stuck in texas. I was planning on saving up $12-$15k then packing up a moving. Is that enough? (that includes all moving expenses) I may or may not have a job when I get up there.How much should I save to move to seattle?
Seattle is expensive! Yous said you lived here before so I guess you know but I feel the need to reiterate it. My friend moved from TX to Seattle about 6 months ago and never really beleived me. He always behind on rent/can't pay bills and he has a job. Everything is more expensive here, food, living, utilities just remember that. Also I just drove up here with my sister from Oklahoma 3 weeks ago, it costed about $240 in gas (she drives an Altima) and $300 in hotel rooms. And eating was about $30/day for 4 days. My advice is get a room mate, do not live off of someone! Just get a 6 month lease with someone or rent a room to get aquainted and save money.
I would go one step further. I would find a job first. I have, and many people I know have great skill sets and can not get work.

Gas to Seattle, you are looking at 2105.85 miles, about $630 if you have a really fuel efficient car, about $1200 for hotels and food on the road.

Rent is likely $700, that is $2,100 for first and last and deposit. Monthly expenses add up quickly
.
The bottom line is that if you do not get a job in the same amount of time I have not been able to get a job, you will need to go back to TX, and you will be flat broke.

Get a job first.

Another alternative is to find a partner you can live off of. More people do that, to find someone to take care of them than you would think. Even if it is somewhat unethical.How much should I save to move to seattle?
rule of thumb is to have 3 months living expenses in the bank, but with the ecconomy not so good, I would double that. I live in Portland and find it a great place to live, but it is easy to get behind if you don't have the finances

No comments:

Post a Comment