Monday, March 12, 2012

Is it absolutely necessary to have a car in Seattle?

I'm planning on getting a job in downtown Seattle. My work hours will be standard M-F 8am-5pm. I plan on living in either the UDistrict or Capitol Hill. Can I rely on walking %26amp; taking the bus? Or is a car necessary?Is it absolutely necessary to have a car in Seattle?
One of my friends that moved up from Florida after I did spent his first two years here without a car. He walked, took buses and got around just fine. And when he wanted a car to get out of town or go to IKEA and buy things too big to carry he just rented one. Later he got the "Flexcar" plan where people share cars. Seattle has a great mass transit system and yes - tons of people exist perfectly fine here without vehicles.



Parking is also a (bleep) in downtown Seattle - most apartments have limited space and charge a monthly fee for parking - so having a car when you live downtown can be very expensive. Where you work may charge for parking as well - so you'll save money by getting there by foot/bus.
I live near downtown Seattle and own a car. Even though I work odd hours outside of the city, I find taking the bus much more convenient than driving for everyday activities. In fact, I mostly use my car only to leave the city on weekends.



Three of my friends have lived in the city for many years without a car. In any neighborhood downtown you are sure to find all the necessities (groceries, banks, coffee, etc) within an easy walking-distance, and the bus will get you everywhere else. Occasionally I take taxis at night, which I have found very reasonable.



If you live in the vicinity and work 8-5 downtown, taking the bus to work is the way to go. It would probably be just one short ride, and you won't have to deal with traffic and parking.Is it absolutely necessary to have a car in Seattle?
My brother and grandson have lived in Seattle for 9 years without a car. So it is possible. there was a company that lets you share a vehicle for short trips but I'm not sure they still exist. Makes it handy when you want to get a big supply of groceries or wnt to take friends to dinner. More power to you.

Also consider Bremerton on Winslow. Small towns with direct ferries to the downtown. rents are cheaper but you'll not have the night life and you will have the daily ferry expense. a lot of people do it, tho'.
Take the bus! Seattle has a great bus system. It's only about $40/mo. for an unlimited pass, and they have a ton of routes and they're very timely. Especially in the neighborhoods you mentioned, you'll be fine, even better, without a car. Parking a car in either of those areas is a nightmare...
If you live in the city and have all your needs met in the city, then you could probably do fine with public transportation.
In your situation a car is nice but you can manage without one if you must.
No not in your case but you might want to get a bicycle.....waiting on the bus gets old after a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment