Tuesday, March 6, 2012

What can I do to make friends in Seattle?

I am a newcomer to Seattle. I am staying with my boyfriend, and I don't have a job or know many people here yet. What can I do to meet new friends? I don't just want to meet people and have superficial conversation and then never see them again... I want to have real *friends*, people I can hang out with or call when I have problems. Got any suggestions? :) Thanks!What can I do to make friends in Seattle?
It is fairly hard to make new "real" friends in Seattle because even though people are generally nice, it is usually on a superficial level. When they say, "Oh, we should hang out sometime," they usually don't follow up on it. So be the one to initiate conversations, plans, etc. Make stuff happen for yourself. I spent my first year here waiting for people to try to get to know me (it has worked in the other places where I've lived) but Seattleites can be a bit standoffish and are often happy with their circle of friends so they were not interested in getting to know me. lol. So I was the one who had to put myself out there. Do the same!



Seattleites love the outdoors (even though it's always rainy) so train for a marathon or join some classes... You'll meet people there and you can try to hang out with them. And remember, be the one to make the plans! If you're more artsy, there are always clubs/groups you can join. Just join some kind of club for whatever interests you and you'll most probably meet people you can connect with. Also, your boyfriend should be able to help you... He can introduce you to his friends who, in turn, can introduce you to their friends.
Being a newcomer can be hard, no matter what anyone says.

I could say that once you start working, it will be much easier to connect with people here, but that isn't entirely the solution.

We may not always connect with our co-workers like that.



You didn't say if your boyfriend is originally from here. He may have a network of friends you can meet.

If you are athletic, the gym might be a good place.

And if you are a club goer, it is very easy to meet people there.

Also, if you have arts or cultural interests, pursue the events here in Seattle and find like minded people.

There are so many ways I could suggest.



People may seem standoffish or perhaps even withdrawn at first, but once they open up to you, and you to them, you will find very warm people here in Seattle.



Of course you will have to work through the top layers of people before you can get to that good friendship, but people here really do bend over backwards to help their friends.



And you WILL be making friends. Get yourself out there!! :0)

When you do meet someone you feel like you click with, offer your number or ask for theirs. Let them know you find them interesting and you will soon be having lattes and hanging out!What can I do to make friends in Seattle?
Excellent question. People here are friendly enough but it is all on such a superficial level. I am fairly new here myself and am finding it really hard to connect with anyone. Just always smile and be yourself. Go for walks, go to the park, things like that. Good luck. Also, I am here for ya if you like!!!
Join clubs with people who have similar interests as you....then you have things already in common. Volunteering is good too...you meet lots of people. If you are religious, join the temple or church of your faith. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment