Tuesday, March 6, 2012

I need a advice for good area to live near Seattle Airport?

Hi, I am moving to Seattle, since my new office is near Seattle Airport, I need to find somewhere near the Air port, I am looking for somewhere that I can drive to my office within 15 minute. So far I know there's Burien and Tukwila , which one is better or there's better choice? Thanks!I need a advice for good area to live near Seattle Airport?
Burien is no different than any other city, there are some "shady" areas but the people stating it's bad and dangerous etc...obviously don't know a lot about the area and/or haven't lived here. The further south and west in Burien the better, as you go north and east (towards Tukwila) it get's worse but I live in north Burien and haven't had a single problem here. I am a single 30 yr old female and already a little paranoid so at night I head to the downtown Burien area where it's safer. The other poster is right in that the city of Burien has a lot of new shops, bars, restauraunts, etc...Burien is also on the water and there are a lot of areas with million dollar plus homes, yeah really ghetto ;-) The city is small, I live about as far north in Burien you can get and my business is next to the airport runways at the southend of Burien, it takes me less than ten minutes to get to work via freeway. I give myself 15 minutes to get to airport but it's less than 10 minutes. I would avoid Tukwila and Seatac, it's a lot harder to find the good areas and their "bad" areas are worse than Burien. You can try Des Moines and Normandy Park, they are both good areas next to Burien. You will want to avoid living too close to the airport and anything that is around Pacific Hwy/International Blvd/Hwy 99 (it's just one highway next to the airport that changes names and the entire stretch is ghetto, like strip clubs, nasty hotels, drugs, prostitutes etc..)
To be honest, I wouldn't suggest either if you're concerned with living in a safe neighborhood... I suppose if safety isn't a big issue with you then one of those neighborhoods would be fine, but Burien or Tukwila are definately not the best neighborhoods around. South Seattle and especially SeaTac are very sketchy neighborhoods... that area used to be known for it's prostition and drug problems, don't know if that's so much the case anymore, but still sketch none the less. If you need to be close to the airport, I'd suggest maybe Renton, it's not as close, but it's a much better neighborhood.I need a advice for good area to live near Seattle Airport?
jesser is giving you valuable advice.



Besides Renton (my hometown), I'd recommend checking out West Seattle (older style metropolitan charm). It might be a bit more expensive, but the ocean venues are delightful, and the freeway from there to Sea-Tac can get you to work very quickly.



Areas southeast of Sea-Tac have a very short commute time, too, and are more rural. Check out areas between Auburn and Fife.
I live in the Burien area. Burien is becoming a very up and coming area to live. The other people who have posted are stating the old myths about Burien. The downtown area in Burien is making a comeback. We have many new nice restaurants, a new condo complex, a brand new library. In fact I am just heading over to the downtown area to go to the art walk. Here is a link to the Burien blog.

http://www.b-townblog.com/
I also live in the Burien area, and have done so for the past 9 yrs. Coming from the Southside of Chicago, an actual "sketch" place where flying bullets and drugs were rampant, Burien and "unsafe" don't seem to mesh to me. Burien is very quiet, with senior citizens, a high school that has been there for 60 yrs, a brand new library, and new condos in revamped Downtown Burien. There is a presence of Hispanics and a Vietnamese population, but with Seattle being predominantly white, that's hardly an issue. Des Moines is a nicer area near Burien, and a lot of retired middle class whites take residence, it being about 10-15 mins from Seatac airport. I'm young, and I get bored by Burien, nothing exciting or "scary" has ever happened in all my years, so I'd recommend disregarding the comment made by Jesser, someone who's never lived here.

No comments:

Post a Comment